Sunday, December 26, 2010

Ode to Moochie



Just three days before Christmas I had to make the unexpected decision to put my dog, Moochie, to sleep. Unbeknownst to me she was in the very final stages of lymphoma. One lymph node should have been the size of a walnut. It was the size of a softball. The doctor said by her labored breathing the cancer had spread everywhere. She didn’t believe Moochie even had days left to live.

I took Moochie to the vet expecting an expensive bill, some medicine, and for her to come home. I walked out of the office with an expensive bill, a bag of her stuff, and no Moochie. I’ve never had to do something so heartbreaking in my life.

Moochie has been my best friend for five and a half years. I adopted her from Citizens for Humane Action in the summer of 2005 when I returned to Columbus from college. I was depressed, jobless and so miserable my family didn’t even want to be with me. Moochie entered my life during one of my most vulnerable moments.


The following five and half years included so much change for me. Moochie was a loving support and constant companion during that time. I don’t think I could have been as happy without her. There will be no dog like her and I will always be a little empty without her.

This list is my promises to her,
  I will always think of you when I eat pizza. I know it was your favorite.
 You were always so good with Addilyn. I’ll make sure she’s an animal lover so she can show the same love to animals that you showed her.
  I’ll take more walks and stick my nose in the air – just like you loved to do.
  I’ll drive with the windows down in the summer in honor of you.
  I’ll play in the first snow every year with the same excitement that you showed.
  I’ll show unconditional love to those around me – well, most of them.
  I’ll remember how important cuddle time is.
  Whenever I go in the bathroom I’ll remember your favorite napping spot.
  I’ll always keep you with me.
 l'll always love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment