Thursday, January 20, 2011

"Tiger Mothers" - Not everything they think they are!

I realize I might sound like an immature school girl when I say this but I don't care. HAHAHAHA "Tiger Mothers" You're methods are not perfect and neither are you!
The moment Amy Chua's piece about the superiority of Chinese mothers to Western mothers was published, the backlash started. Women across the country - even the world - started to express the same feeling I did. Outrage!

The 24-hour news cycled picked up the controversy and ran with it. Mothers across the globe commented, defended their parenting choices and chastised Chua's parenting examples.
CNN published a follow-up written by Lac Su, a psychologist and business executive at TalentSmart, and also the author of I Love Yous are for White People.
Su gives countless examples of how his parents aggressive and demeaning style did nothing but cause problems in the long run.

"I'm sure I appear successful and happy on the surface. I'm a published author, a successful executive, and I have a Ph.D. in psychology. In spite of this, my parents' approach failed. I'm torn to pieces on the inside."
Take that Chua! Imagine how your children are going to talk about you when they're older. In my previous blog post I spouted ad nauseum about how I thought children could be emotionally and mentally stunted because of the negative upraising they endeared. Su is a prime example.
But he got revenge and I imagine Chua's daughters will do the same. Su wrote a book and called out his own parents and those just like Chua.

"I believe that Chua's abusive parenting is motivated by her own unhappiness. How do I know this? My father told me so. He's the man whose tiger-infused parenting produced the catch phrase that became the title of my memoir, I Love Yous Are for White People.
Three years ago, during a family gathering, my father confessed regret about his choice in parenting. I didn't know what to say. The damage had been done. I feel for Chua's daughters and imagine they'll have similar conversations with her one day."
Makes me wonder what Chua's children will do in the future. Will they be the great success their mother dreams of? Will they rebel against their rigid upbringing. Will they respect their mother? I guess only time will tell. I certainly hope that I will never have to ponder these same thoughts about my children.

1 comment:

  1. There is a blog award waiting for you over on my blog. Come pick it up here: http://runninginstilettosblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/fame-my-first-blog-award.html

    YAY, you!

    ReplyDelete